Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find the NMPA Info Graphics from the 38th Annual Virtual Conference?

What is Most Favored Nations (MFN)

What is a withholding tax as it relates to U.S. citizens?

What is a withholding tax as it relates to non-U.S. citizens?

What type of license do you need to use lyrics in a video?

Do I need permission to change lyrics in a song?

What is CCLI?

If you are a co-owner of a song do you still need to get a license?

What does co-published mean?

Why do you need a license from the publisher and record label to use a recording in your video?

Where do my Spotify royalties come from?

What do you do if someone wants to translate your song?

What is a PRO?

What is publishing administration?

What is Sound Exchange?

What is the importance of legal representation?

Isn’t my use of music in my YouTube video Fair Use?

The quick answer is no.  To explain it more in depth check out this video.

What is a PRO?

A performance rights organization. In the US, we have three options: ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. In Canada, the PRO is SOCAN. And in the UK, it is PRS. They collect money for performances of songs on the radio, in TV programs, live venues, and websites. The writer decides which PRO they will affiliate with.

Can I add or change lyrics to a copyright song?

Not without the permission of the copyright owner. Copyright owners have the exclusive right to add or change lyrics (and the underlying music) to a copyrighted song.

Where can I learn more about how licensing and music publishing works?

The NMPA (National Music Publishers’ Association) has some great information about this topic. They have put together a great page describing the basics of music publishing. Click here to view¬†Music Publishing 101.